Neymar rejects Real Madrid to join Barcelona for £21m
Sunday 26 May 2013
Barcelona have agreed to buy Brazil striker Neymar from Santos on a five-year deal.
The 21-year-old is expected to sign his contract on Monday after making his farewell appearance in the Brazilian league on Sunday night. Neymar has been courted by both Barcelona and Real Madrid since 2011, with both Spanish clubs believed to have had bids of around £21.3 million accepted.
Neymar used his Instagram account on Saturday night to confirm he will be heading to the Nou Camp.
"I'm here with friends and family and they have helped me to write a few things," he said.
"I'm not going to hold out until Monday. My family and friends already know my decision. On Monday I will sign a contract with Barcelona."
Neymar's current deal with Santos was due to expire after the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. Chelsea and Manchester City were both thought to have been interested in signing him.
Meanwhile, Radamel Falcao's proposed £51m transfer to Monaco from Atletico Madrid could also be completed today. Reports from Spain suggested that the Colombian would fly to the south of France for his medical and then link up with his former Porto team-mates Joao Moutinho and James Rodriguez, who joined the newly promoted club on Friday for a combined fee of around £60m.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
Latest in Sport
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant