No Arsenal offer for Gervinho, says Lille president
Arsenal have yet to make a formal offer for Ivory Coast forward Gervinho, according to Lille president Michel Seydoux.
The 24-year-old has made no secret the Gunners would be his preferred destination were the French club ready to sell.
However, while Arsene Wenger is said to be keen to bolster his squad, suggestions a £10million deal is about to be completed would appear somewhat premature.
Lille president Seydoux told Radio Monte Carlo: "We know that Gervinho is keen on Arsenal. For the moment, there has been simple contact, but we have not received a concrete offer yet."
Arsenal have also been linked with Lille's Belgian starlet Eden Hazard, but Seydoux maintained the 20-year-old would remain at their club.
It has so far been something of a slow transfer window for the Gunners, with young defender Carl Jenkinson so far the only confirmed addition in a £1m deal from Charlton.
However, that does not mean the Gunners have been idle in their search for new talent to help end a six-season trophy drought following an implosion over the closing months of the last campaign.
The addition of Southampton starlet Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is expected to be confirmed at the start of July ahead of Arsenal's Far East tour.
However, the quest for more experienced cover, particularly in defence continues to prove a source of frustration.
It appears Blackburn are holding out for an increased fee for centre-half Christopher Samba, with Bolton's Gary Cahill and Everton's Phil Jagielka other options, if likely to be more expensive.
Spain's Under-21 midfielder Juan Mata is another reported target, rated at around £18m by Valencia, while the Gunners are also said to be tracking Argentina youngster Ricky Alvarez.
Much could depend on whether captain Cesc Fabregas is allowed to rejoin Barcelona for a cut-price £30m, and also whether France midfielder Samir Nasri puts pen to paper on a new contract.
Full-back Gael Clichy is another whose current deal expires next summer, and so could move on if no agreement is reached, with Liverpool and Roma possible destinations.
Wenger will also look to jettison some of his fringe players, with the likes of Denilson and Nicklas Bendtner expected to move on ahead of the new campaign.
Animals found with 'puncture holes the size of a human finger'
Video: The official full-length trailer for the Jurassic Park sequel has dropped – two days early
Latest in Sport
Phil Hughes head injury: Cricket world reels as Australian opener fights for his life
Sam Wallace: Players of Suarez’s standing just don’t sign for clubs like Liverpool
Phil Hughes head injury: He had one weakness – it has come back to haunt him
Schalke vs Chelsea: Jose Mourinho says his Blues side are playing better than any Chelsea team in recent memory
Manchester City vs Bayern Munich comment: Frank Lampard's part in City win shows folly of letting him leave
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 3 Black Friday 2014: Opening hours for John Lewis, Asda, PC World, GAME and Argos
- 4 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 5 Jeremy Hunt: 'I took my children to A&E because I didn't want to wait for GP appointment'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict