Pardew targets £2m Mariappa
Newcastle are ready to make a bid for the £2m-rated Watford centre-half Adrian Mariappa.
Alan Pardew wants to add another defender to his squad before the transfer window closes following the season-long injury to Steven Taylor. He has identified the 25-year-old as a player who can make the step up from the Championship as Newcastle push for a European place. Mariappa has signed a contract extension at Watford until next year, but Newcastle believe the allure of the Premier League will tempt him to leave.
Papiss Cissé has arrived for £8m and if Newcastle can land Mariappa, that should be the end of their January spending. The club have been linked to Ajax defender Jan Vertonghen, but any move is more likely in the summer.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Home Office says Nigerian asylum-seeker can’t be a lesbian as she’s got children
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 4 Turkish Airlines flight TK 726 crash-lands on Nepal runway amid dense fog
- 5 Apple and Google users being spied on for a decade because of 'Freak' security flaw
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
Boris Nemtsov shot dead: Outspoken Putin critic who had expressed fears for his life is killed near the Kremlin