Tevez move to Milan hits new hitch
Carlos Tevez is still hopeful that his move to Milan can be resurrected after Manchester City's insistence yesterday that the Italian club pay a transfer fee in excess of €25m (£21m) led to the collapse of the latest round of negotiations.
The dispiriting saga of Tevez's rift with City, which began with his infamous refusal to come on as a substitute in the Champions League against Bayern Munich on 27 September, and has continued with the lengthy disciplinary process was close to an end yesterday during meetings between the two clubs in London.
Earlier in the day the Internazionale president, Massimo Moratti, had signalled defeat in his club's bid to sign Tevez and said that he believed the Argentine was on his way to Milan. However, Milan were unable to meet City's valuation on the player and the club's hardline stance has not wavered at all: any prospective new club for Tevez must agree a permanent deal and they must meet City's valuation.
There is an unwillingness on City's part to be specific in public about the size of fee they want from Milan, however it was that which was the stumbling block between the two parties. It is generally agreed that Tevez and his advisor Kia Joorabchian have come to agreement on the player's personal terms some time ago and Tevez has been pictured with Milan chief executive Adriano Galliani.
City negotiations yesterday were led by temporary chief executive John MacBeath and football executive Brian Marwood. The deal appeared to be funded, on Milan's side, by the sale of the Brazilian striker Alexandre Pato to Paris Saint-Germain although it emerged the Pato deal had also fallen through. However, it was clear last night that Milan have not given up on Tevez and that they believe it will be possible to resurrect a deal to sign him later in the transfer window. If that is not possible, the player, who has spent much of the time since his exclusion in Buenos Aires, will remain registered to City.
Net-buster: Striker's court served rough justice
Manchester City's non-striker Carlos Tevez has had to demolish a tennis court built without planning permission at his home in Cheshire. Tevez reportedly upset local ramblers who considered it an eyesore. Courting controversy seems to be second nature for the Argentine ace.
Latest in Sport
The muddy truth of the Christmas Truce game
Alexis Sanchez video: Turns out the Arsenal forward is brilliant at playing the piano too
Burnley forward George Boyd has sympathy for Brendan Rodgers - because he struggled with Liverpool on Football Manager
James Milner lives up to 'boring' tag in brilliant Manchester City Christmas video
Sir Alex Ferguson on Jose Mourinho: 'He's good looking, speaks five languages, wins everything - it's unfair'
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 3 Antonio Martin shooting: Mayor says there should be 'no comparison' to Ferguson
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
Rozanne Duncan: Ukip expels councillor for 'jaw-dropping' comments made in BBC TV interview
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food
BBC director Danny Cohen: Rising UK antisemitism makes me feel more uncomfortable than ever