Tottenham hold out for big game
Monday 31 January 2011
Tottenham Hotspur may yet stage the biggest surprise of the transfer window today with the club still in the market for a £20m-plus big-name striker that would break their transfer record.
Harry Redknapp played down the possibility of a signing yesterday but Spurs have retained an interest in the Villarreal striker Giuseppe Rossi, who scored the winner against Espanyol yesterday, as well as Sergio Aguero (Atletico Madrid) and Fernando Llorente (Athletic Bilbao).
Spurs, beaten 4-0 by Fulham in the FA Cup fourth round, were serious contenders for Edin Dzeko until the player chose Manchester City and are not working under the usual limitations set by chairman Daniel Levy. They are expected to work on a deal right up until tonight's 11pm deadline.
Mountain goats miraculously survive avalanche in the Alps
Skyfall's Ben Whishaw confirmed for Freddie Mercury film
Latest in Sport
Roy Keane omits Paul Scholes, Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs from 'greatest' Manchester United team
Roy Keane and Patrick Vieira relive rivalry - after the former Manchester United and Arsenal captains shared ice cream in Warsaw
Sir Alex Ferguson autobiography is 'insulting nonsense' says Roy Keane as relationship between Manchester United legends becomes 'non-existent'
Patrick Vieira put Thierry Henry and Dennis Bergkamp up front in 'greatest' Arsenal team - but there's no room for Cesc Fabregas and Marc Overmars
Manchester United player ratings: The best (and worst) performers for David Moyes during the season so far
- 1 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Teenage girl convicted of robbery after taking pre-crime selfie wielding knife
- 4 Government delays EU immigration report because it is too positive
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent