Transfer news: £21m Arsenal target Bernard says 'farewell' to Atletico Mineiro
The Brazil international says 'God' will decide his future
Arsenal's hopes of signing Brazilian playmaker Bernard appear to have received a boost after the player's agent hinted that the 20-year-old had played his last game for Atletico Mineiro.
The £21m target was on the victorious side in last night's Copa Libertadores final against Olympia - which Mineiro won on penalties.
Significantly, after the match, his agent Adriano Spadoto tweeted: "Congratulations, Bernard. Double-winner! Confederations Cup, Libertadores . . . the perfect farewell."
However, Bernard remains unsure where he will be playing next season and said: "It is up to God to decide whether I stay or not."
Reports in France suggest the Brazil international will arrive in London tomorrow to undergo a medical. In response to those claims, Arsene Wenger said "the report is not true", however, the Frenchman is famed for his obfuscation over transfer dealings.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 2 People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
- 3 Van driver who comforted Clark Carlisle and called 999 after suicide attempt dies age 24
- 4 James Blunt was special guest on the highest-rating Top Gear episode ever
- 5 The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts