Transfer News and Speculation, 7 July

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Russian playmaker Andrei Arshavin's agent said his client is in no rush to find another club, and believes his eventual destination may depend on the outcome of some of the summer's other transfers. The Zenit St Petersburg player was impressive at Euro 2008, and yesterday the Zenit coach Dick Advocaat said he had given the 27-year-old leave to decide on his future, with reports in the Russian press suggesting that he is set to travel to London to hold talks with Arsenal and Chelsea.

Barcelona are also said to be interested in Arshavin (right), who has described a move to the Nou Camp as a "dream". But his agent Dennis Lachter said, "The push for Andrei Arshavin has only just got going. The transfer window doesn't close until August 31 and the clubs who are following him are only just warming up their engines."

Lachter added that, "Arshavin's future depends on what happens with [Arsenal's Alexander] Hleb and [Emmanuel] Adebayor, as well as Cristiano Ronaldo." Barça are believed to be keen on signing Hleb and Adebayor, meaning they may be out of the running for the Russian. Should Hleb and/or Adebayor leave north London, that would appear to put the Gunners in a strong position to land Arshavin.

Brazilian shuns City funds for Milan

Milan's vice-president, Adriano Galliani, claims that Ronaldinho has rejected a lucrative offer from Manchester City, despite the English club offering twice what the Italians can. The Rossoneri are short on cash and have admitted they cannot compete financially with City's offer. However, the Brazilian has said he would prefer a move to Milan or even Chelsea, and Galliani claims he has made good on that claim by turning down a higher wage – reportedly up to €250,000 [£198,000] a week – from City to focus on a move to Milan. Galliani said the main stumbling block to joining Milan would be Ronaldinho's wages, not the transfer fee. "He is not in the plans of [the Barça coach Pep] Guardiola, so he has a more favourable price," Galliani said.

Chelsea deny play for Milan's Kaka

Chelsea yesterday denied making a large offer for Milan's Brazilian playmaker Kaka. The Italian club's vice-president, Adriano Galliani, said in the Italian press: "An astronomical offer has come in from Chelsea for Kaka." He added that the English club had also expressed interest in the 2006 World Cup-winning midfielder Andrea Pirlo. Despite failing to qualify for the Champions League, Galliani said the Rossoneri had been strengthening their squad and increasing salaries. "This means we'll be €50m [£39.6m] in the red," he said. "All we would need to do in order to wipe out our debts is sell Kaka."

Shittu not for sale, claims Simpson

Watford's chairman, Graham Simpson, said Danny Shittu is not for sale following reported interest from both halves of the Old Firm. The 27-year-old defender, who has 12 caps for Nigeria, has been linked with Celtic and Rangers, with both Glasgow sides seeking to strengthen ahead of the new season. The Nigerian has impressed since his arrival from Queen's Park Rangers in 2006 and is set to return for pre-season training with the rest of the squad today. No firm offers have been tabled for Shittu yet and Simpson says bids would not be welcomed. "We have had inquiries from Premier League clubs but no offers for Danny," Simpson said yesterday. "Danny is still with us and that's the way it is staying."

*THE WEEKEND'S COMPLETED MOVES

Ryan Bertrand (Chelsea) to Norwich: Loan

Geovanni (Manchester City) to Hull City: Free

Harry Kewell (Liverpool) to Galatasaray: Free

Chris Lucketti (Sheffield United) to Huddersfield: Free

Comments