Transfer news and speculation, 9 July
Wednesday 09 July 2008
Zenit St Petersburg say that no English clubs have bid for their playmaker Andrei Arshavin, the subject of a reported £12m offer from Barcelona last week and who is also thought to have attracted interest from Arsenal and Chelsea. A Zenit spokesman said that it would take £24m to prise Arshavin, who was impressive for Russia at Euro 2008, from the Uefa Cup holders. His agent, meanwhile, said, "Andrei would like to play in the Premier League but he will not accept an offer from clubs like Newcastle, Middlesbrough and Aston Villa. There are only four British clubs he would play for and they are in the Champions League."
Keane loses out in Guiza race
Roy Keane had entertained hopes of luring Daniel Guiza to Sunderland, but yesterday Fenerbahce signed Spain's Euro 2008-winning striker from Real Mallorca. Guiza is the former Spain coach Luis Aragones' first major signing since taking charge at the Turkish side last week after he led his country to their first major title in 44 years. Guiza was the top scorer in La Liga last season with 27 goals and scored twice during Spain's triumphant campaign last month in Austria and Switzerland when he was used mainly as a substitute.
Brown bags Boro's Boateng
Middlesbrough have agreed a deal to sell their midfielder George Boateng to Premier League newcomers Hull City. "The deal between ourselves and Middlesbrough has been agreed," the Hull manager, Phil Brown, said. "It's now just a matter of fine-tuning the deal between us and George." Boateng joined Boro from Aston Villa for £5m in 2002.
Carew happy to stay for longer
Aston Villa striker John Carew has intimated he would like to stay at the club for the rest of his career. The 28-year-old, who joined from Lyons in a swap with Milan Baros in January 2007 and was Villa's leading scorer last season with 13 goals, said:"I have two years more on my contract, but I would like to stay for many years more."
Baggies expect Phillips to leave
West Bromwich manager Tony Mowbray expects to lose Kevin Phillips. The former Sunderland striker, 35 later this month, is holding out for a two-year deal but the club is prepared to offer only one. "At this moment, it is unlikely he will stay here," Mowbray said. "If there's a stumbling block that we can't overcome then so be it."
Yesterday's completed moves:
Darren Way (Swansea) to Yeovil Town; £50,000
David Perkins (Rochdale) to Colchester; Undisclosed
Warren Feeney (Cardiff City) to Dundee United Loan
Zsolt Poloskei (MTK Hungaria) to Liverpool; Loan
Paul Morgan (Bury) to Macclesfield; Loan
Derek Holmes (Rotherham) to St Johnstone; Free
Latest in Sport
Crystal Palace manager latest: Malky Mackay ruled out due to messy departure from previous club Cardiff
Sami Khedira to Arsenal: Midfield omitted from Real Madrid squad for Spanish Super Cup
Paul Scholes: Manchester United need five experienced players who can turn round a desperate situation
Angel Di Maria latest: Manchester United target is Real Madrid's 'best player', says Diego Simeone
Luis Nani exit: The curious case of the Manchester United winger
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict
- 4 Nicki Minaj 'Anaconda': Singer finally releases predictable video
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Scottish Independence Referendum: Salmond described as 'arrogant, ambitious and dishonest' by Scottish women