Transfer news: Cardiff and West Ham show interest in Sporting Lisbon star Islam Slimani
Algerian star could be set for Premier League switch from Lisbon
Thursday 09 January 2014
Premier League duo Cardiff City and West Ham United are interested in signing Sporting Lisbon's Algerian striker Islam Slimani, according to reports.
The 25-year-old remains on the periphery of the Sporting first team and is yet to start a Primeira Liga game this campaign.
Despite his limited options at the Estádio José Alvalade, he has managed to net two goals in his ten substitute appearances and is attracting interest from across Europe.
West Ham's escalating striker shortage is well precedented - with club record signing Andy Carroll still yet to appear this season - after their 5-0 and 6-0 defeats to Nottingham Forest and Manchester City.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is also keen to add a new attacking player to his squad after concluding a deal for Heerenveen's Magnus Wolff Eikrem yesterday.
But, according to talkSPORT, both will have to move quickly with Olympiakos and Serie B side Sassuolo also monitoring his situation.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Double chins could be 'cured' without surgery or dieting using new injection
- 2 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 3 Christian blogger says she will not wear leggings in public because they entice men and cause them to look at her 'lustfully'
- 4 Thank heavens for Louise Mensch and her foul-mouthed tweets to world leaders
- 5 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Louise Mensch says 'F**K YOU' in explosive tweets about David Cameron, Saudi Embassy and the Queen over King Abdullah tributes