Transfer news: Leighton Baines ends Manchester United speculation after agreeing a new long-term contract
United manager David Moyes pursued the England defender last summer but Baines has chosen to extend his stay at Goodison Park
Monday 27 January 2014
Everton defender Leighton Baines has signed a new four-year with the Barclays Premier League club, manager Roberto Martinez has announced.
Martinez revealed that the Kirkby-born full-back has committed himself to Everton at a press conference on Monday.
"We're delighted Leighton has signed for the next four years," Martinez said.
"It gives us a great boost internally and also for the fans."
The England defender, 29, had been a reported target of former Toffees boss David Moyes who is looking to bolster his Manchester United side.
Moyes twice tried to sign Baines last summer and was believed to still be interested in bringing his former player to Old Trafford.
Baines joined Everton from Wigan in 2007 in a deal worth £6million after rejecting a move to Sunderland.
The defender had 18 months left on his contract at Goodison Park, and Martinez has moved to ensure one of his prized players will not depart during this transfer window by securing his long-term future at the club.
While Everton celebrate the news over one left-back their other option in that position, Bryan Oviedo, is set to have surgery on Monday afternoon after suffering a double fracture of his left leg in the FA Cup win at Stevenage.
Martinez said the Costa Rica international's World Cups remained "up in the air" but he had not ruled out the player from yet making an appearance in Brazil.
"Bryan is in great spirits as it has been two difficult days," said the Toffees boss.
"He has been inundated with messages of support and affection and he is a really positive guy.
"Today is an important day as he will go for surgery and we hope he quickly recovers.
"You are usually talking about a broad timescale of five to six months but I think Bryan will be a little less than that and if he can make it to the World Cup that will be an incredible boost.
"We can't say he will miss the World Cup or not, it is still up in the air."
Martinez added he expected the future of defender John Heitinga to be finalised in the next 48 hours.
The Holland international is keen to have more playing time in a World Cup year with both Roma and Galatasaray reportedly interested in signing him.
However, Martinez suggested the Dutchman could still remain at Goodison Park.
"We will find out in the next 48 hours if he is going to stay with us for the rest of the season or whether we agree a deal for him to try to play minutes and try to get into the World Cup squad," said the Spaniard.
Latest in Sport
Arsenal transfer news: Gunners fans devastated as they become only team in top 5 European leagues not to sign outfield player
Arsenal transfer news: Karim Benzema, Edinson Cavani and Gregorz Krychowiak were all linked but Wenger and Gunners fail on deadline day
David De Gea: Manchester United in bitter war of words with Real Madrid over failed transfer
David De Gea, Peter Odemwingie and the 18 weirdest transfer deadline day stories
Anthony Martial fee: 'Add-on' includes Manchester United signing winning the Ballon d'Or
- 1 Moscow voted the world's unfriendliest city
- 2 The excuses your boss is most likely to believe when you call in sick
- 3 I'm pansexual – here are the five biggest misconceptions about my sexuality
- 4 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches, it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don’t change Europe’s attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up