Transfer news: Stoke chief executive reveals club haven't received any contact for Ryan Shawcross amid reported Manchester City interest
Tony Scholes says he is not surprised by interest in the Potters' captain but stresses there has not been an approach from either City or Newcastle
Thursday 22 May 2014
Stoke chief executive Tony Scholes has emphasised there has been no contact between the Potters and other clubs regarding skipper Ryan Shawcross - and that the Staffordshire outfit do not need to sell their best players.
Centre-back Shawcross has this week been linked with a move away from the Britannia Stadium to Barclays Premier League champions Manchester City.
But Scholes, quoted by The Sentinel, said: "It comes as no surprise to me what I have read about Ryan. I don't know if there is any truth in it, but certainly we have had no contact.
"Players like him and (Stoke goalkeeper) Asmir Begovic, just to name a couple, will attract attention. That's part and parcel of being a successful football team.
"That's the way it's always going to be. It's one of the prices of doing well, but it doesn't mean you necessarily have to do business with them.
"We don't need to sell. We've been going through our situation for next year, our budgets, what is available in terms of buying players and players' wages and we are not in a position where we need to sell.
"We are looking to strengthen and move forward."
Shawcross, 26, was named Stoke's player of the year at the end of a 2013-14 season in which the club achieved their highest Premier League finish of ninth and points tally of 50.
He has been a consistent performer for the Potters since their promotion to the division in 2008, but did not make Roy Hodgson's England squad for this summer's World Cup in Brazil.
And Scholes added: "Ryan's had six great years in the Premier League and that's quite something for a player of his age.
"It is interesting that he has reportedly attracted the attention of big clubs in the way he didn't seem to attract Roy Hodgson's attention.
"Anyone around these parts will think he should be on that flight to Brazil with England."
Meanwhile, it has been reported that Stoke midfielder Steven Nzonzi has handed the club a transfer request, as he did last summer.
And on that matter, Scholes said: "I wish I could give you a clear answer.
"It's been in the papers over the last week or so that Steven's father has been in touch with us and he's mentioned that Steven's ambition is to play at the highest level that he can play.
"He's alluded to the fact that maybe he would want to move on and do that.
"But I am being a bit circumspect because until I sit down with Steven and his father and hear what they've got to say and why they are saying it, I'm guessing too much."
Latest in Sport
- 1 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery reports: 'I'm living a fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy not arrested: Internet duped by fake report claiming artist's identity revealed
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 Video: Boxer Vido Loncar brutally assaults referee following defeat
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991 with most Brits wanting to stay in'