Valero joins West Brom for club record fee
Friday 22 August 2008
West Brom today completed the signing of Borja Valero from Real Mallorca for a club record £4.7m.
The 23-year-old midfielder has signed a four-year contract after passing a medical, the club's official website said.
Spaniard Valero is the Baggies' ninth signing of the summer, taking their close-season spending past £20m.
Manager Tony Mowbray said: "I'm delighted to welcome Borja to the club.
"From a footballing point of view he possesses many of the attributes I like in a player."
Mowbray said he believed Borja may need a little time to adjust to the Premier League, and that despite a record fee was not guaranteed a place in the team.
But he added: "Borja can link up the play from back to front and he will enhance the excellent midfield options we already possess."
Latest in Sport
- 1 Autistic adults could take pure MDMA to 'reduce social anxiety'
- 2 Before you complain about your GP, this is what you need to know about actually doing the job
- 3 Father of 12 accused of raping, beating, starving and abusing his own children in US 'cult'
- 4 Britain's Got Talent 2015: Jamie Raven divides Twitter as fans expose mind-boggling magic trick
- 5 Charlie Charlie Challenge explained: not a Mexican demon being summoned — it's gravity
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote