Xherdan Shaqiri latest: Bayern Munich have 'no thoughts' about selling Liverpool target
Sporting director Matthias Sammer says Swiss winger will stay in Germany
Bayern Munich have said they are not interested in selling Liverpool target Xherdan Shaqiri.
With Luis Suarez no longer a member of the Brendan Rodgers' squad, the Reds are looking light up front despite the arrivals of Rickie Lambert and Adam Lallana, although a deal for Benfica winger Lazar Markovic is reported to be close.
Shaqiri was hugely impressive at the World Cup for Switzerland, scoring a hat-trick against Honduras, as Ottmar Hitzfeld's team reached the last-16 of the tournament.
However, despite interest from Liverpool and Roma, Bayern's sporting director Matthias Sammer has said he is not for sale.
"Xherdan is an important player for the future," the Bayern chief told German newspaper Kicker.
"There are no thoughts at all about selling him."
The 22-year-old is reported to be unhappy at Bayern as he was only used sparingly by Pep Guardiola's Double winners.
Last season Shaqiri barely got a look in for the German champions, starting just 14 games, completing 90 minutes in only four of those, making a further 13 appearances from the bench.
Despite his limited playing time, Shaqiri scored seven goals and added four assists in all competitions.
Liverpool are are also chasing deals for Southampton centre-back Dejan Lovren and Belgian striker Divock Origi.
Latest in Sport
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services