Argentina vs Netherlands: Sergio Aguero passed fit for crucial World Cup semi-final
Manchester City star has recovered from thigh injury
Monday 07 July 2014
Sergio Aguero has been declared fit by Argentina's team doctor, and looks likely to return to the starting line-up for his side's semi-final clash with the Netherlands.
The news will come as a boost to the Albiceleste and their supporters, particularly with Angel Di Maria likely to miss the remainder of the tournament through injury.
Aguero has not had a particularly good World Cup so far, perhaps not fully fit, and succumbed to injury during his side's group stage win over Nigeria.
However his proven class and excellent understanding with star man Lionel Messi, would seem to make him an obvious candidate to return to the side.
Aguero has been replaced in Argentina's last two games by Ezequiel Lavezzi, who is an excellent player, but does not possess the same international goalscoring record as Aguero, and is perhaps better used as an impact player against tired legs.
Argentina take on the Netherlands at 9pm on Wednesday, looking to secure a place in the World Cup final.
Latest in Sport
Arsenal transfer news: Atletico Madrid closing in on Santi Cazorla deal - reports
Manchester United transfer news: Arturo Vidal subject of £39m bid
Arsenal transfer news: Arsene Wenger set to cancel moves for Sami Khedira and Morgan Schneiderlin in favour of Jack Wilshere - reports
Five things we’ve learned so far about Manchester United under Louis van Gaal
LA Galaxy vs Manchester United: 'Beautiful goals and beautiful attacks' - Louis van Gaal revels in 'fantastic' 7-0 start
- 1 Fifty Shades of Grey movie trailer released: First look at Jamie Dornan as Christian Grey
- 2 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 3 50 books for students to read this summer: From Ernest Hemingway to Gillian Flynn
- 4 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 5 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media