England 1 Italy 2 player ratings: Who scored higher - Raheem Sterling or Andrea Pirlo?
A look at the performances in this Group D meeting
Sunday 15 June 2014
England's World Cup campaign finally got underway as they narrowly lost to Italy in an exciting encounter.
Raheem Sterling almost scored a screamer early on, with even the BBC briefly registering it as a goal before the world realised it had hit the side netting.
However it was Italy who took the lead through Claudio Marchisio and a clever corner routine.
England equalised almost immediately though through Daniel Sturridge and went into half time at 1-1.
In the end though Mario Balotelli put Italy back in front early in the second half and England never managed to level things back up.
Here, we take a look at how the players rated...
Who do you think was the stand out player? Let us know in the comments below.
Latest in Sport
James Rodriguez to Real Madrid: Would Colombian star fit in with Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale?
William Carvalho to Arsenal? Gunners make new enquiry for £35m rated midfielder
Manchester United transfer news: More signings expected, indicates Ed Woodward
WWE Battleground 2014 results: John Cena and The Miz are the big winners on a night to forget in Tampa, Florida
Chelsea transfer news: Completed summer deals - including Diego Costa and Cesc Fabregas
- 1 Husband creates spreadsheet detailing wife's 'excuses' for turning down sex
- 2 Apple has installed security backdoors on 600m iPhones and iPads, claims security researcher
- 3 Saneie Masilela, 9, marries Helen Shabangu, 53 years his senior, for the second time
- 4 UK pirates will get four warning letters a year
- 5 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?