England 1 Italy 2 player ratings: Who scored higher - Raheem Sterling or Andrea Pirlo?
A look at the performances in this Group D meeting
Sunday 15 June 2014
England's World Cup campaign finally got underway as they narrowly lost to Italy in an exciting encounter.
Raheem Sterling almost scored a screamer early on, with even the BBC briefly registering it as a goal before the world realised it had hit the side netting.
However it was Italy who took the lead through Claudio Marchisio and a clever corner routine.
England equalised almost immediately though through Daniel Sturridge and went into half time at 1-1.
In the end though Mario Balotelli put Italy back in front early in the second half and England never managed to level things back up.
Here, we take a look at how the players rated...
Who do you think was the stand out player? Let us know in the comments below.
Latest in Sport
Louis van Gaal denies problem with Wilfried Zaha despite Manchester United forward being given no game time
Calum Chambers: Who is Arsenal's £16m right-back target?
Manchester United latest: Angel Di Maria move no closer as Juan Mata emerges as Louis van Gaal's favoured No 10 as prospect of signing
Arsenal transfer news: Versatile Calum Chambers is a 'gamble', admits Arsene Wenger as Arsenal spending passes £50m
Everton transfer news: Romelu Lukaku deal ON, Roberto Martinez assures fans
- 1 Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
- 2 The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
- 3 Danish TV reporter is all business up top, all party down below
- 4 Ross Burden dead: MasterChef and Ready Steady Cook star, dies aged 45
- 5 Businessman charged £75 for three small bottles of water in London hotel