England Under-21s: National service for United duo
Thursday 25 August 2011
Manchester United's Danny Welbeck and Phil Jones have been named in the England Under-21 squad to face Azerbaijan and Israel in September.
Ross Barkley, 17, who made his Everton debut last Saturday, has been selected while Arsenal's Emmanuel Frimpong, who qualifies for Ghana, is also in the squad for the 2013 European Championship qualifiers. Manager Stuart Pearce said: "I'm pleased a lot of players are pushing through at club and level."
Welbeck and Jones are now set to miss out on places in the England senior squad.
Latest in Sport
Arsenal transfer news: Arsene Wenger set to cancel moves for Sami Khedira and Morgan Schneiderlin in favour of Jack Wilshere - reports
Cristiano Ronaldo could return against Manchester United - but it won't be like previous reunions
Calum Chambers joins Arsenal: New £16m signing put through Arsenal initiation as he sings The Kooks in front of team-mates
Manchester United transfer news: Mats Hummels, Daley Blind and Thomas Vermaelen on radar as Louis van Gaal reveals he still wants to sign defender
Seydou Keita refuses Pepe handshake before throwing water bottle prior to Roma vs Real Madrid match
- 1 Sabina Altynbekova, the girl branded 'too good looking' for volleyball, says social media obsession with her is a 'bit much'
- 2 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 3 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- 4 Zayn Malik on Israel-Gaza: One Direction singer bombarded with Twitter death threats after posting #FreePalestine
- 5 'Hello mum, this is going to be hard for you to read ...'