Hart and Cahill receive England call
Tuesday 06 October 2009
England boss Fabio Capello has called up Joe Hart and Gary Cahill into his squad for the World Cup qualifiers against Ukraine and Belarus following injuries to Paul Robinson and Joleon Lescott.
Blackburn goalkeeper Robinson will return to his club following a hip problem, while Lescott heads back to Manchester City after a calf problem he picked up in the Barclays Premier League draw at Aston Villa last night.
With Ben Foster's omission explained as a chest injury, Hart has been rewarded for a solid start to his loan period at Birmingham. Bolton centre-back Cahill, meanwhile, travelled to Kazakhstan in June with the seniors but is yet to make his England debut.
Hart and Cahill were travelling south to meet up with their team-mates while the rest of the squad were at Arsenal's London Colney complex for training ahead of Saturday's clash in Ukraine.
All 22 players were present for the start of training but Chelsea full-back Ashley Cole and Portsmouth goalkeeper David James returned to the dressing room while the others went through their warm-up routine.
Cole and James were understood to be receiving treatment on minor knocks and are expected to train tomorrow.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
- 2 The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
- 3 Danish TV reporter is all business up top, all party down below
- 4 Ross Burden dead: MasterChef and Ready Steady Cook star, dies aged 45
- 5 Businessman charged £75 for three small bottles of water in London hotel