Republic of Ireland injuries mount for Giovanni Trapattoni
Saturday 07 September 2013
Giovanni Trapattoni has a series of injury concerns ahead of the Republic of Ireland's World Cup qualifier in Austria on Tuesday night.
Jon Walters, Simon Cox and Glenn Whelan all emerged from last night's morale-sapping 2-1 home defeat by Sweden at the Aviva Stadium nursing knocks.
Walters has an ankle problem, Long a dead leg and Whelan a tight thigh muscle, although the early indications are that all three will be available to travel to Vienna when the squad leaves on Sunday afternoon.
However, Trapattoni has indicated that he could make "two or three" changes for the clash with the Austrians as he attempts to keep his side's mathematical chances of qualification alive.
Both sides are now three points adrift of second-placed Sweden in the race for the runners-up spot, and Ireland still have to go to runaway leaders Germany as the campaign draws to a close next month.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Russell Brand accuses FOX News anchor Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness – including don’t try to convert other people
- 3 Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Midfielder set to force through move to Louis van Gaal's Red Devils - reports
- 4 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire