Darts: Taylor loss stuns world of darts

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Andy Callaby reflected on his astonishing win over Phil Taylor in the World Grand Prix and said: "There's no reason why I can't go all the way."

The 39-year-old caused one of the biggest upsets in darts history on Tuesday night when he inflicted a 2-0 defeat on the defending champion Taylor in Dublin. And he finished the match off in style with a 145 checkout - the highest of the week so far.

"I've been playing terrible recently, but I just felt great up there," Callaby said. "It was my first time on [televised] stage and I wasn't too shabby."

His victory has opened the way for a number of fringe players to make an impact this week - especially with the likes of John Part and Wayne Mardle already out.

"I will be really popular in the players' room. Wayne's gone, John's gone and now Phil," Callaby added. "There's no reason why I can't go all the way because I've just beaten the best player in the world. I don't fear anyone."

Taylor had nothing but praise for Callaby. "I think he's great," Taylor said. "He's a good lad, presents himself well and does everything right."

The world No 1 added: "This game is getting harder and harder. I'm getting older and the players are getting younger. There's something I've got to do now and that's to get back on the practice board and work hard."

Comments