Amir Khan has blamed "everyone and everything" for his controversial defeat by Lamont Peterson last month, according to the new champion's trainer and manager Barry Hunter.
Hunter last night accused Khan of using "foul tactics and false accusations" to discredit the American victor after the Briton publicly aired several grievances surrounding the disputed defeat, which saw him lose his IBF and WBA light-welterweight titles in Washington on December 10.
Those complaints range from referee Joe Cooper's decision to dock the Englishman two points to the judges' decisions and alleged discrepancies with the scorecards.
Khan then reignited the issue last week by questioning the role of the then-unidentified 'mystery man' Mustafa Ameen at ringside.
Hunter said in a statement: "Khan blames everyone and everything but his performance and lack of ability to make adjustments in the ring for his loss.
"Each claim is boldly false, but because Golden Boy and Khan have the financial resources to file protests and lawyers to create questionable accusations we are forced to address these issues.
"We will not let these foul tactics take away from Lamont's hard work, dedication and monumental victory.
"Furthermore, since Khan continues to focus on a man at ringside I want to be very clear - Mustafa Ameen is in no way, nor has he ever been affiliated or associated with anyone within Team Peterson. That includes myself, Lamont and Anthony Peterson (Lamont's brother and fellow fighter).
"Real champions don't continue to come up with various excuses and false accusations in hopes that something will stick to cover up for a loss."
Khan and promoters Golden Boy initially claimed Peterson's team had agreed in principle to a rematch immediately following the split decision verdict, before closing ranks and apparently changing their minds.
Hunter said: "The bottom line is that after we decided not to accept Golden Boy's offer for a rematch only days after the fight...they started filing protest letters and trying to spin the media as some form of retaliation.
"If the media reports are true, then the actions of a few will put every close decision in boxing in jeopardy of being overturned. We will not let that happen.
"We will continue to fight for what is just and proper."
The IBF have finally broken their silence by stating the 'man in the hat' Ameen had no business being involved at ringside during the fight.
Ameen, who can be seen on television interacting with WBA supervisor Michael Welsh and allegedly handling scorecards, was identified by Khan's promoter, Richard Schaefer, who also said Ameen was involved with the IBF.
The governing body have explained in a statement that Ameen is not an employee or official of theirs, though he does voluntary work with their programme for retired fighters and will attend their January 18 hearing.
An IBF statement said: "He (Ameen) is not an employee or an official of the organisation, nor does he receive any monetary compensation from the organisation for his efforts.
"Mr Ameen was not assigned by the IBF to officiate this bout."
- More about:
- North West England