Something For The Weekend: 31/12/2011
Saturday 31 December 2011
It's squeaky bum time for...
Mancini's Man City
Having seen a five-point lead over Manchester United evaporate, Roberto Mancini's men face could travel to Sunderland tomorrow three points behind Sir Alex Ferguson's side.
The City manager will be keen to erase memories of last year's match on Wearside, which they lost 1-0 after wasting a host of chances. City have taken just two points from their last three away matches and if the multi-million-pound squad fails to fire again, their championship credentials will come under increasing scrutiny. The Italian will hope to avoid a new year's hangover and put the pressure back on the red half of Manchester.
Stories you might have missed
Yachts' armed protection
Five yachts competing in the Volvo Ocean Race have been hoisted from the water onto an armed ship in a bid to protect them from pirates in the Indian Ocean. The 15-tonne boats, which have been placed into specially designed cradles, will be set down off the coast of the UAE before making a sprint for the finish of the second leg in Abu Dhabi.
Have you been paying attention?
1. Which team could become the first Premier League side to concede 1,000 goals this afternoon?
2. Who upset Phil Taylor in the second round of the PDC World Championship?
3. Which former Hull and Great Britain rugby league player received a three-year ban for failing a drug test?
4. Which 21-year-old Test cricketer took seven wickets on debut in Durban?
5. Which jockey rode Kauto Star to his fifth King George VI crown?
Culinary experts in The Netherlands thought it was 'fresh' and 'tasty'
Latest in Sport
Liverpool fans applaud Cristiano Ronaldo after master-class for Real Madrid, despite his Manchester United ties
Liverpool vs Real Madrid player ratings: Was Cristiano Ronaldo the star man? And how did Mario Balotelli fare?
Liverpool vs Real Madrid match report: Cristiano Ronaldo and Karim Benzema run Reds ragged at Anfield
Diego Costa injury: Chelsea striker forced into hospital ahead of Manchester United clash - reports
Mario Balotelli substituted at half-time against Real Madrid: Was shirt swapping the real reason?
- 1 Marijuana use by teenagers does not result in a lower IQ or worse exam results, study finds
- 2 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 3 Jimmy Carr's controversial Oscar Pistorius joke goes too far at the Q Awards
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 NHS staff banned from drinking tea or coffee on the job because it looks like they're not working hard enough
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
£300 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: SSRS Report Developer – 3 Mon...
£95 - £150 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Key Stage 1 teacher require...
£32000 - £39000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Ashdown Group: Generalist HR Man...
£18000 - £30000 per annum + uncapped: SThree: Do you feel like your sales role...