Something For The Weekend: 31/12/2011
Saturday 31 December 2011
It's squeaky bum time for...
Mancini's Man City
Having seen a five-point lead over Manchester United evaporate, Roberto Mancini's men face could travel to Sunderland tomorrow three points behind Sir Alex Ferguson's side.
The City manager will be keen to erase memories of last year's match on Wearside, which they lost 1-0 after wasting a host of chances. City have taken just two points from their last three away matches and if the multi-million-pound squad fails to fire again, their championship credentials will come under increasing scrutiny. The Italian will hope to avoid a new year's hangover and put the pressure back on the red half of Manchester.
Stories you might have missed
Yachts' armed protection
Five yachts competing in the Volvo Ocean Race have been hoisted from the water onto an armed ship in a bid to protect them from pirates in the Indian Ocean. The 15-tonne boats, which have been placed into specially designed cradles, will be set down off the coast of the UAE before making a sprint for the finish of the second leg in Abu Dhabi.
Have you been paying attention?
1. Which team could become the first Premier League side to concede 1,000 goals this afternoon?
2. Who upset Phil Taylor in the second round of the PDC World Championship?
3. Which former Hull and Great Britain rugby league player received a three-year ban for failing a drug test?
4. Which 21-year-old Test cricketer took seven wickets on debut in Durban?
5. Which jockey rode Kauto Star to his fifth King George VI crown?
Geoffrey Macnab reviews American Hustle, also starring Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper
newsFormer soldier taped 33 of the animals to the floor and then stamped on them one by one
Michelle Nijhuis' daughter insists (s)he is, and she learnt a valuable lesson on gender in books
news Opponents claim it would stop performers such as Beyonce and Madonna appearing on TV
It takes a platoon of chefs, litres of brandy and rum, and almost 100kg of dried fruit
food + drink
Latest in Sport
Mesut Ozil reveals he really is the Superman at Arsenal, Jack Wilshere is Batman and don't make Lukas Podolski angry - it's the Arsenal Christmas Party
Transfer news: Liverpool - January transfer targets
Brendan Rodgers says missing out on Spurs job was a 'close shave'
The most underrated players in the Premier League
Transfer news: Chelsea - January transfer targets
- 1 America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
- 2 27 animals died during filming of Hollywood blockbuster The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, says report
- 3 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 4 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 5 Iain Duncan Smith leaves Commons food banks debate early
Exclusive: Young people ‘want UK to stay in Europe’: Four in 10 adults aged 18 to 24 are ‘firmly in favour’ of membership, poll shows
Tom Daley ‘is gay because his father died’ says UK evangelist
Iain Duncan Smith leaves Commons food banks debate early
Kiss and yell: Italian protester charged with sexual assault after kissing riot police officer
PM denies two child limit for benefits is part of Tory welfare policy
Anachronistic and iniquitous, grammar schools are a blot on the British education system
£45000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: QA .NET Agile UNIX LIN...
£35000 - £40000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: C# ASP.NET SQL Develop...
Negotiable: Harrington Starr: C# .NET SQL Developer (Software Developer, Softw...
£500 - £650 per day: Harrington Starr: Excellent opportunity for Murex Subject...