Something For The Weekend: West Ham United; auction for Amauri and the quiz
Saturday 21 January 2012
It's squeaky bum time for...
West Ham United
Sam Allardyce could be in for a long afternoon as his team take to the field against Nottingham Forest today. If his West Ham side overcome the Midlanders at Upton Park, they will climb to the Champion-ship's summit for the first time this season with the leaders Southampton not playing until Monday night, when Leicester visit St Mary's. Allardyce's side stuttered through December, losing to Burnley, Reading and Derby, and will need to be on the ball to take advantage of the Saints' inactivity. Should they hold their nerve, any bubbles being blown at the final whistle will make Big Sam a very happy Hammer indeed.
Stories you might have missed
Auction for Amauri
Entrepreneurship in football has reached a new level. Juventus long tried to sell Amauri and, although he now looks set for Fiorentina, their initial struggle to offload him prompted one fan to try to sell him on eBay. Bidding reached £8m, but was then withdrawn by the site. If that wasn't peculiar enough, buyers were even promised delivery in four working days.
Have you been paying attention?
1. Which former champion recorded her 500th career win at the Australian Open this week?
2. Who was the only England batsman to score more than 50 in the first Test against Pakistan in Dubai?
3. Jose Mourinho's poor record in Clasicos was extended to just one victory in how many matches?
4. Who beat Ronnie O'Sullivan in the Masters at the quarter-final stage?
5. Which famous name was signed by Williams for 2012 F1 season?
1. Serena Williams
2. Matt Prior
4. Judd Trump
5. Bruno Senna, nephew of Ayrton
Latest in Sport
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Expert urges cat lovers to own just one animal each
- 3 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
Very Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: NORTH HAMPSHIRE NQ to MID LEVEL - An e...
Highly Attractive Pakage: Austen Lloyd: MANCHESTER - A highly attractive oppor...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Marketing Manager (Campaigns, Offlin...
£90000 - £135000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Marketing (B2C, Acquisition...