Super Bowl 2014: A beginner's guide
Everything you need to know as a Super Bowl virgin
Super Bowl XLVIII is here, and if you're worried you won't understand because you haven't seen the previous 47, then help is at hand.
This year's bonanza is taking place in New Jersey, and kicks off at 23:30 GMT.
The Super Bowl is America's biggest sporting event, watched by over 100 million people worldwide.
This is the first Super Bowl to be held outside in one of the USA's colder states - so it's unlikely there will be a repeat of Janet Jackson's flashing antics this time.
Here we present everything you need to know as a first-time Super Bowl watcher...
1. There's a reason American Football is so strongly linked to beer, fatty snacks, and having people around. Those stoppages every few minutes will pass more quickly if you've surrounded by mates, guacamole and bottles of Miller Light.
Why not build a 'Snackadium' to keep you going?
2. Who has the nicest uniform? That's a big question and, as everyone knows, the best way to choose which team to back. The Seahawks' navy blue and silver strips would almost give their jerseys a Patriots-esque regality were it not for the random luminous green. Broncos, meanwhile, sport a Jaffa Cake-ish blue/orange affair, which is probably a bit love-it-or-hate-it.
The two Super Bowl kits
3. But what of other ways to decide on your new favourite team?
Well, Seattle is the home of Nirvana, Starbucks and Frasier, while Denver is the home of..... We don't know what Denver is the home of.
But the Broncos do have the best offense in the NFL this season, scoring more points than any other team. They'll need it though, because Seattle has the best defense.
Richard Sherman of the Seattle Seahawks
4. Oh and another thing: Peyton Manning is kind of a big deal. Though he has his doubters and he has blown the big games before, few would question his place among the NFL's best quarterbacks of the last 20 years. The game will be seen by many - among them The Independent's Rupert Cornwell - as the Broncos quarterback's shot at immortality. Some thought his career was over a few years ago, but the older Manning brother could equal Eli with a second Super Bowl ring (having won his first with the Indianapolis Colts in 2007) and cap a season for the ages.
Peyton Manning will have a chance to add to his single Super Bowl ring when his Denver Broncos side meet the Seattle Seahawks
5. It's harder than you think not to enjoy the half-time show. Sure it's probably appalling for the playing surface, and the 45 minute half-time plays havoc with the players' physical routines, but the annual chance for some superstar or another to run through his/her greatest hits is one of the defining facets of the SuperBowl. Last year's Beyonce show was great fun, and Bruno Mars is unlikely to disappoint.
104 million people tuned in to see Beyonce reunite with Destiny's Child for an explosive performance last year
6. At the end some guy will call the winning team "world champions."
I know. It's weird. It's a sport with the country's name in it. They're playing in the NATIONAL Football League. But for some reason it's presumed that they're world champions. They still can’t really do proper football though, so let’s just the Americans have that.
Ray Lewis #52 of the Baltimore Ravens holds up the Vince Lombardi Trophy
Latest in Sport
Sky Sports and BT Sport announce Premier League live matches for 2015/16 with Man United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool in action
Wimbledon 2015: Dustin Brown knocks Rafael Nadal out of the championship
Football kits 2015/16: The good, the bad and the downright worst new shirts from around the world for next season
Chelsea 2015/16 home shirt leaked again as new picture appears online
Dustin Brown: Who is the world number 102 who knocked Rafael Nadal out of Wimbledon?
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To support their continued grow...
£22000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They are the go-to company for ...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join the UK's leadin...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This caravan dealership are currently recruiti...