Anderson keeps Saints on march

Click to follow

St Helens coach Daniel Anderson is determined to maintain his side's momentum as they approach the Super League play-offs.

Saints reclaimed top spot from Leeds with an emphatic 60-4 thrashing of Wakefield at Knowsley Road on Friday night. A top-two place is already assured but Anderson wants Saints, who have four games remaining, to keep up the pressure on the Rhinos.

Anderson said: "It [finishing top] is out of our hands. We will not worry about that - all we can do is win every game. This was very good. We scored some spectacular and skilful tries and it was done with a lot of professionalism."

Wakefield folded in the second half as Saints, who only led 18-4 at the break, completed a 10-try rout.

Winger Darren Albert, who is leaving the club for Cronulla at the end of the season, crossed for a hat-trick and centre Jamie Lyon claimed two more. Their prolific right-sided partnership has now yielded 47 tries this season.

Sean Long weighed in with 24 points, consisting of 10 goals from 10 attempts and a try. The outstanding Paul Wellens, Paul Anderson, James Roby and James Graham also got on the scoresheet.

The Wildcats' one try came from Mike Wainwright midway through the first half as they gave Saints a few worries but the visitors were ultimately outclassed.

Wakefield coach Tony Smith felt that his side were unfortunate to suffer such a hiding but admitted the performance of some players was "pathetic".

Smith, who was awarded a new contract last week after lifting the side clear of relegation trouble, said: "We did not deserve to be on the end of that kind of scoreline. But St Helens are an absolutely brilliant side and will punish you from anywhere on the field - they do not need any extra help. I thought some people's performances were absolutely pathetic."

Warrington again slipped up in their bid to claim third place as they went down 38-22 at play-off chasing Huddersfield. The Wolves never recovered from the shock of conceding three tries in the opening 13 minutes and were 26-6 down by half-time.

Eorl Crabtree and Chris Nero claimed two tries apiece with Paul Reilly, Brad Drew and Jim Gannon also touching down. Warrington scored through Martin Gleeson, Logan Swann, Chris Bridge and Nathan Wood but the Giants were always the more vibrant side.

"That desire to win the game was not there," said the Warrington coach, Paul Cullen. "I was very, very disappointed with our defence and we sent them those early signals by giving three tries away.

"There is a common trait in teams at this point in the season, that they seem to sit back and wait for somebody to win the game for them. And we had too many of our players waiting for someone to win the game."