Canberra's offer to Manu leaves Castleford in confusion

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Castleford are facing a second contract wrangle over a player they thought they had recruited. Cas announced the signing of the former St George-Illawarra second-rower Willie Manu last year, but now he has a second offer from Canberra.

"Castleford is still on track, but he's got two offers now," said his agent, Wayne Beavis. "It's as simple as that."

Castleford, however, are taken aback. "He has signed a contract with us and I heard on Monday that his work permit has been received," said their chief executive, Richard Wright.

The issue is further clouded by Manu being due to face assault charges in Australia next month, but Wright remains confident both he and Ryan McGoldrick will eventually join.

McGoldrick is the subject of a tug-of-war between Castleford and the Australian club Wests Tigers.

The Widnes full-back David Peachey has returned to Australia because of the death of his aunt. Peachey, will miss this Sunday's game at Warrington, which is a testimonial for Mike Gregory, the former Warrington and Great Britain captain and Wigan coach, who has been struck down by illness.

Comments