Hudson revives Castleford ambition

Wakefield 4 Castleford 32
Click to follow
The Independent Online

Ryan Hudson led the way as Castleford revived their hopes of a top-six finish and condemned their neighbours to a sixth consecutive defeat.

The newly appointed captain was a major influence and, even when he was sin-binned early in the second half, he returned to score the try hat took a scrappy, penalty-ridden game beyond his former team-mates.

Hudson began his reign with a surging run through the middle of his old club's defence in the second minute. Although he was brought down, the Trinity defence never regrouped and Michael Eager's acrobatic pass sent Waine Pryce over in the corner.

Hudson's predecessor, Danny Orr, missed the conversion and a much easier penalty after Wakefield were whistled up for an obstruction as they were again opened up, this time by Darren Rogers.

At the other end, Jamie Rooney did far better, putting over his chance after the award of a penalty for holding down in the tackle.

Orr might be on his way, but his creativity remains supremely important for Castleford. It was his clever chip over the Wakefield defence that produced another obstruction penalty, one which he put over.

Wakefield were tending to drop off in the tackle, and they were punished for that just before the mid-point of the half when Dale Fritz took Wayne Godwin's pass and shrugged off three defenders.

Castleford would have been further ahead if Rogers's pass to Pryce had not been too high, with the wing wide open. It hardly mattered, as straight from the scrum Paul Mellor provided the pass and Rogers went through a massive gap for Castleford's third try.

They should have scored again when Eager was denied a try for offside after overcomplicating matters. But for that sort of wasted chance and Orr's wayward goal-kicking, Wakefield would have been out of the hunt by half-time.

Castleford were pegged back soon after the break when Hudson was sent to the sin-bin for holding down and Rooney landed the penalty.

Wakefield had more chances to put pressure on the 12 men, but Brad Davis gave away a penalty and possession by using his forearm on Pryce. Back came Hudson, and with his first touch sold a huge dummy to create a hole for another Tigers try. Godwin added two more tries for Castleford.

The game ended disconcertingly for Wakefield with their forward Steve Snitch stretchered off after a tackle from Fritz which was placed on report.

Wakefield: Halpenny; Wray, Spicer, Ellis, Wells; Jeffries, Rooney; Korkidas, March, Hood, Knott, Field, Vowles. Substitutes used: Wrench, Smitch, Griffin, Davis.

Castleford: Gibson; Pryce, Mellor, Eagar, Rogers; Orr, Healey; Thackray, Godwin, Lynch, Smith, Fritz, Hudson. Substitutes used: Johnson, Sykes, Hepworth, Harland.

Referee: S Ganson (St Helens).