Hull claim city bragging rights

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Hull and their city rivals Hull Kingston Rovers attracted more than 15,000 fans to see Hull run out 16-6 winners in a pre-season derby at the Kingston Communications Stadium.

An electric atmosphere off the field was matched by plenty of pride and passion on it as Tetley's Super League Hull looked to dominate their National League One neighbours.

And it was the home side who had the game's most influential player in the winger Gareth Raynor, who marked his return to the 13-man code with two excellent tries following a disappointing spell at rugby union's Leicester Tigers.

The Great Britain international Richard Horne and Kirk Yeaman scored Hull's other two tries, and the home side were always in control.

For their part, Hull KR put up a gritty display, which will have pleased their new coaching team of Malcolm Reilly and Martin Hall.

The stand-off Paul Mansson was the pick of the visitors, and got their only try with a smart interception from Hull prop Paul King.

Meanwhile, a new-look Halifax warmed up for their National League campaign with a 32-22 victory over Tetley's Super League neighbours Huddersfield at The Shay.

Tony Anderson's men never looked back after two tries in the first 20 minutes from the hooker Todd O'Brien helped them into a 12-0 lead, and they were 28-0 up before a youthful Huddersfield scored their first points of the game.

Scott Law and Jaymes Chapman had helped consolidate Halifax's flying start with further tries before half-time, when they led 22-0, and new signing David Bates, the former Castleford and Gateshead forward, and Wayne Corcoran added second-half touchdowns, with loose forward Pat Weisner taking his goal tally to four.

Huddersfield, who gave a first appearance to new forward signing Paul Smith, failed to take their chances in the first half, with Matthew Whittaker and Tony Williams both reaching the try-line, but failing to ground the ball.

They eventually broke their duck when Ben Feehan went over at the corner 10 minutes into the second half. Tom Senior then added a second try on 57 minutes and scrum-half Paul White set up an exciting finish with two tries in three minutes. White also kicked three conversions, but the final whistle ended their late revival.

The hooker Johnny Lawless made a surprise farewell appearance for the home side before formally handing over the captain's armband to the South African veteran Jamie Bloem, who has rejoined Halifax from Huddersfield.