Steadman's future looks bleak

Castleford 10 Wakefield 42
Click to follow
The Independent Online

Graham Steadman went to talk to disgruntled fans who sat in protest on the terraces after seeing Castleford fall apart in the second half to suffer their seventh defeat in as many games in Super League this season. His next chat could be with the club's directors.

Castleford were swept aside by the rampant Wildcats, who scored six tries in the last half-hour of what became an embarrassingly one-sided contest. "In 13 years at the club, I'm at my lowest ebb," Steadman admitted. "To be beaten in the manner we were in the second half is just not good enough." But he denied any intention of resigning. "I'm not going anywhere. It's up to the directors to give me their full backing or make the call."

Wakefield's outstanding captain, Gareth Ellis, got them moving when he ran wide to take Jason Demetriou's floated pass for their first try before Castleford levelled the scores through Sean Ryan. The Tigers even took the lead, when a high kick from Francis Maloney caused chaos and Dean Ripley scored.

Ben Jeffries tied the scores with a solo try before the break and the second half belonged exclusively to Wakefield, despite the loss of their playmaker, Jamie Rooney, with a worrying ankle injury.

David Solomona started the rot with a perfect pass for Semi Tadulala to tiptoe in at the corner. Demetriou, perhaps lucky to still be on the field after two high tackles on Paul Newlove, then stole the ball from Ripley for one try and set up the position from which Ellis added his second.

Another Solomona pass gave Tadulala a second and Ellis, by now doing pretty much as he pleased, set up late scores for Michael Korkidas and Jeffries. "His form this year has been sensational from the first game," said the Wakefield coach, Shane McNally, of Ellis. "But he just seems to get better and better." The only downside to a performance that shows how much the whole side have improved this season was on the injury front, with McNally anxious over Rooney and also fearing that the second row forward, David Wrench, has broken his leg.

Castleford: Saxton; Rogers, Clayton, Newlove, Ripley; Rudder, Maloney; Jackson, Hudson, Lynch, Smith, Ryan, Thackray. Substitutes: Sykes, Hepworth, Brambani, Huby.

Wakefield: Halpenny; Wainwright, Demetriou, Domic, Tadulala; Rooney, Jeffries; Griffin, March, Korkidas, Solomona, Wrench, Ellis. Substitutes: Ryder, Elima, Hood, Talipau.

Referee: R Silverwood (Dewsbury)