Warrington lose Morley for six weeks with fractured eye socket

Click to follow

Adrian Morley's return to the British game has suffered a major setback because of a fractured eye socket that will keep him out of Warrington's team for the next six weeks. The Great Britain forward played his first competitive game for the Wolves at Wigan on Friday night, but was injured in a clash of heads with the Warriors' forward, Eamon O'Carroll.

A specialist's examination yesterday confirmed the fracture, ruling out Warrington's principal close-season signing until the end of next month.

A second Warrington player, the stand-off, Chris Bridge, will be out for a similar period after tearing a hamstring in the same match, but the side's coach, Paul Cullen, said that he was encouraged by the way they responded at Wigan. "We are hardened by last season's injury crises and I was proud of the way the team responded to the losses to secure the win," he said.

The Brisbane Broncos have named a full-strength squad for their World Club Challenge against St Helens at Bolton on Friday week.

The Broncos will bring 15 of their Grand Final-winning squad to this country, with only the injured David Stagg and Casey McGuire, who has joined the Catalans Dragons, missing.

Shane Webcke, who has retired, is being brought on the trip as a thank you from the club for his long service. The Broncos are also bringing Tame Tupou and Greg Eastwood, both of whom have been picked by New Zealand, and the young reserves, Steve Michaels and Michael Ennis.

The Brisbane and Australia captain, Darren Lockyer, has been passed fit to lead the side after wrist surgery. He is adamant that the Broncos are highly motivated for the Challenge. "It's been a fair while since an Australian team has won over there and we are all pretty pumped up to try and break that run," he said.

The Broncos are breaking new ground by playing a preparatory game, against the Celtic Crusaders in Bridgend on Thursday night.

Wakefield's Richard Moore and Bradford's Matt Cook have both been told that they have no case to answer after being placed on report at the weekend for alleged dangerous tackles.

Two assistant coaches, Warrington's Gary Chambers and Bradford's Lee St Hilaire, will find out from the League's disciplinary commissioner whether they are to face charges. Both were sent from the touchline at the weekend.