America’s Cup hopefuls come forward
Monday 01 November 2010
Two new challenges for the next America’s Cup in 2013 have been received on the first day of an entry window which extends until 31 March next year.
The Italian Mascalzone Latino team, which is the Challenger of Record with whom the rules governing the next event, to be raced in 72-foot wing sail catamarans, was already an official challenger.
The America’s Cup Race Management organisation said it was withholding the names of the two new teams, though one is expected to be Torbjorn Tornqvist’s Artemis group, based in Sweden, managed by the American Paul Cayard and joined by another American, Terry Hutchinson.
ACRM chief executive Iain Murray said that the names of the teams would be released by the teams themselves after verification had been completed. Artemis is expected to hold a press conference in Stockholm on 8 November.
Murray also confirmed that the team which won the Cup in Valencia in February, the San Francisco-based BMW Oracle, had entered. There have been hopes expressed by BMWOR that there may be a second defence syndicate.
One incentive to enter early is that the order of challenging will also be the order in which deliveries are made of the boat to be used for America’s Cup regattas next year, a 45-foot wing sail catamaran being built north of Auckland, New Zealand.
Twenty-four hours into the Route du Rhum singlehanded race from St. Malo to Guadeloupe, three of the top four big multihulls, Franck Cammas in Groupama, Francis Joyon in Idec and Thomas Coville in Sodebo, have been heading south at high speed. Sidney Gavignet in Oman Air Majan has taken a westerly route.
Latest in Sport
What time is the 2015 WWE Royal Rumble on? TV details and full card
Sam Burgess: Bath and England's next big thing
Andy Murray gets his revenge over Grigor Dimitrov to face home favourite Nick Kyrgios in Australian Open
Brighton 2 Arsenal 3 player ratings: Did Tomas Rosicky's performance and goal make him man of the match at Amex Stadium?
Liverpool transfer news and rumours: Glen Johnson to stay; Fabian Delph move goes up in flames; Marc-Andre Ter Stegen for loan deal
- 1 Benedict Cumberbatch says Hollywood is better for black British actors
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
George Galloway condemns 'racist, Islamophobic, hypocritical rag' Charlie Hebdo at freedom of speech rally
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
Islamic history is full of free thinkers - but recent attempts to suppress critical thought are verging on the absurd