San Francisco tip for America's Cup
Saturday 01 January 2011
San Francisco will be the site for the 2013 America's Cup, an American newspaper reported last night.
The decision of where to stage the 34th Cup was up to billionaire Larry Ellison, whose BMW Oracle team won the event in races off Valencia, Spain, in February 2010.
The winners of the America's Cup are allowed to determine the next location. Ellison has previously lauded San Francisco Bay as a "natural amphitheatre" for spectators to view the races.
Meanwhile, a smart start by Dee Caffari and Anna Corbella saw them lying sixth of the 14 60-footers going into the first night of the Barcelona non-stop double-handed round the world race.
Latest in Sport
Diego Costa injury: Chelsea striker a doubt for Everton match due to muscle injury
Mario Balotelli posts hilarious Beatles picture on Instagram as he awaits Liverpool debut
Arsenal transfer news: Arsene Wenger says he will be 'actively involved' on deadline day... but may not buy a striker despite Giroud injury
Arsenal vs Besiktas player ratings: Alexis Sanchez? Jack Wilshere? Mesut Ozil? Who was the star man at the Emirates Stadium?
Champions League draw: Liverpool meet Real Madrid, but should they fear facing the reigning champions?
- 1 Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage