San Francisco tip for America's Cup
Saturday 01 January 2011
San Francisco will be the site for the 2013 America's Cup, an American newspaper reported last night.
The decision of where to stage the 34th Cup was up to billionaire Larry Ellison, whose BMW Oracle team won the event in races off Valencia, Spain, in February 2010.
The winners of the America's Cup are allowed to determine the next location. Ellison has previously lauded San Francisco Bay as a "natural amphitheatre" for spectators to view the races.
Meanwhile, a smart start by Dee Caffari and Anna Corbella saw them lying sixth of the 14 60-footers going into the first night of the Barcelona non-stop double-handed round the world race.
Latest in Sport
- 1 This 'woman calls police to order pizza' story isn't going where you're expecting
- 2 Axe wielding man shot dead after attacking four New York policemen on busy street
- 3 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 4 Jimmy Carr's Oscar Pistorius joke goes a bit too far at the Q Awards
- 5 Ottawa shootings: Bruce MacKinnon's cartoon is the perfect tribute to soldier Nathan Cirillo
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Attacks on 'Ukip Calypso' show how skewed people’s priorities are
Poppy Appeal 2014: This is why I won't be wearing a red poppy this year