Tiger Woods out of hospital following car crash

World number one golfer Tiger Woods has been released from hospital following a car crash, according to US reports tonight.

The 33-year-old pulled out of his driveway, struck a fire hydrant, and then drove into a tree at his neighbour's property at about 2.25am local time (7.25am GMT), the Florida Highway Patrol (FHP) said.

Gary Bruhn, the Mayor of Windermere, Florida, told TV news channel CNN the golfer suffered facial lacerations but was later released from hospital.

The PGA star was driving a 2009 Cadillac sport utility vehicle and the crash outside his home in Isleworth, Florida, was not alcohol-related, the FHP said.

A spokesman added that the incident was still under investigation and charges were pending.

The Orlando Sentinel reported that the airbags in the car did not deploy, which it said suggested that the vehicle was travelling at less than 33mph.

Woods' website said he was due to start the campaign for his fifth Chevron World Challenge title on Tuesday.

Woods, the tournament's host, won the event in 2001, 2004, 2006 and 2007 but missed last year's tournament while recovering from knee surgery.

All proceeds from the tournament go to the Tiger Woods Foundation which helps young people to realise their dreams.

Woods said on Wednesday: "It should be an exciting week for the fans and I'm looking forward to competing."

The Orange County Fire Rescue said it received a call about the accident at 2.28am ET (7.28am GMT), but the FHP did not report it until 2pm ET (7pm GMT).

Orange County property records indicate his home is valued at 2.4 million US dollars (£1.5 million).