Graham is made to wait

Click to follow
The Independent Online
George Graham is being forced to wait a little longer to hear whether the football authorities will take action against him over the "bung" allegations.

The Arsenal manager is at the centre of a widespread FA Premier League investigation into Scandinavian transfers. A spokesman for the Premiership's chief executive, Rick Parry, said: "The suggestion that the Commission of Inquiry is due to report on Thursday is not, and never has been, accurate."

The report, when it does come, will include the results of their investigation into the allegation that Graham received £285,000 from the transfer of the Danish international, John Jensen, from Brondby to Arsenal for £1.57m in 1992.

Meanwhile Arsenal should find out today how much they have to pay Ipswich for Chris Kiwomya. Graham has offered £500,000 for the 25-year-old striker but the East Anglians rate him at £2m. The Football League tribunal will also adjudicate on Norwich's IanCulverhouse, Steve McMahon's first signing as Swindon Town manager.

McMahon himself should be back playing in 10 days' time, but Swindon's Welsh international full-back, Paul Bodin, may need a full body scan to solve the mystery back injury which is threatening his place in the side for Saturday's FA Cup fourth-round tieagainst Watford.

Newcastle's Belgian international defender, Philippe Albert, will be out for the rest of the season following an operation on a serious knee injury sustained in training last month.

Alan Smith, the Crystal Palace manager who is furious at the way Chris Armstrong has been unsettled by Newcastle's rejected £4m bid, has called in the players' union to warn his younger players of the dangers of entrusting their careers to agents.

He has cleared the air with the 23-year-old Armstrong and reassured him that he will play against Manchester United at Selhurst Park tonight. But Smith said: "This soliciting of young players cannot be right. The PFA have their own agency and I don't understand why more players don't use it."

The Aston Villa manager, Brian Little, has sacked his youth team coach, Colin Clarke. Little may bring in Tony McAndrew and Kevin MacDonald, who resigned as youth coach and youth development officer at Leicester last week.

Alvin Martin yesterday called for a second referee to adjudicate on controversial incidents like his dismissal against Sheffield Wednesday on Monday. The 36-year-old central defender said: "Now I've had the opportunity to watch it again on television I'mjust as disappointed as I was at the time.

"I'd like to see a second official sitting in the television control box watching instant replays like they do in cricket. Only major incidents would be replayed. You couldn't keep stopping the game." Martin will be available for the FA Cup tie at Queen's Park Rangers on Saturday but faces a three-match ban unless West Ham can make a successful appeal.

Wednesday, who won the game 2-0 after the dismissal of a second West Ham defender, Tim Breacker, are hoping their England midfield player Andy Sinton will be available again shortly following an eight-match absence with a thigh injury. Chris Waddle, however, pulled a hamstring at Upton Park.

Celtic yesterday hailed their near £10m share issue as the most successful ever by a football club in the United Kingdom. As the Glasgow club closed the offer, their managing director, Fergus McCann, reported the £9.4m target figure as having been "heavily over-subscribed".

McCann said: "We are now in a very comfortable position to press on with the building of a stadium and give the manager funding to buy players."

Comments