Hockey: Precise Molloy strikes twice

Click to follow
Jon Molloy, with two superbly taken high scoops at penalty corners, gave Surbiton a 2-1 win against Indian Gymkhana to put the Surrey side three points ahead of Old Loughtonians at the top of the First Division of the National League, although the Old Boys have a game in hand.

At Feltham, Surbiton found it difficult to make an impression on the packed Gymkhana defence, in which Dharminder Singh, the sweeper, was prominent.

They were content to keep control for long periods in midfield, so it was against the run of play when Gymkhana took the lead in the 12th minute.

Daljit Hanspal took advantage of a misunderstanding in the Surbiton defence after good approach work by the 17-year-old Laveen Jandu.

Molloy then struck for his first in the 27th minute and converted the winner with just four minutes remaining. There was still time for Kulbir Bhaura, the Great Britain Olympic gold medallist, to bring the best out of Matt Miles, the goalkeeper, with a cracking shot.

At Hull, Jonathan Evenett, Canterbury's acquisition from Isca, scored his first League goal for his new club to put them into a 15th minute lead but second-half goals from Steven Moat and Paul Sheardown secured the points for Hull.

The remaining First Division game - the others were postponed because of England training - between Southampton Trojans and Bournville ended goalless.

In the Second Division, Doncaster, Barford Tigers and Sheffield are the only clubs on maximum points after two games, with Richmond, Cambridge City and Crostyx pointless. Goals from Mark Wood and John Woods gave the leaders, Doncaster, the points at home to Cambridge City in a 2-1 win, with Bruce Goddard claiming a late goal for Cambridge.

Des Betts, Barford's signing from Harborne, scored twice for the second week in their 3-1 win away to Crostyx, to bring his League tally to 57, with Satinderpal Mann scoring the third. A Darren Whitford penalty corner was Crostyx's only response.

The newcomers, Hampstead and Westminster, after taking a third-minute lead through Mark Crowley, were pegged back by Isca at Exeter to lose 1-3, with Paul Livesey collecting a penalty corner in each half and Clive O'Sullivan, the Welsh international, getting the third. Whitchurch picked up their first win, 2-1, at Richmond.