Chandhok to replace Trulli in Germany
India's Karun Chandhok will replace Jarno Trulli for Team Lotus at this weekend's German Grand Prix as the outfit continue their search for a first Formula One point. Chandhok raced for fellow strugglers Hispania for the first half of last season and was named Team Lotus reserve for this campaign behind Trulli and Heikki Kovalainen.
India is due to host its first Formula One race in October and commercial possibilities there are huge for teams.
"As a young Asian driver Karun faces even more obstacles to achieving his goals than his counterparts from the established motor sport homelands in the West, both from inside and outside F1, and I am very proud to be able to give him this chance on merit," said the team principal, Tony Fernandes.
Chandhok, 27, said: "I am approaching the weekend in a realistic frame of mind. I will take each session as it comes and work closely with the engineers."
Jennifer Lawrence attacks mass media again over body image
Paris charity auction staged to save the ancient city of Tyre
scienceScientists find the answer to a question that even puzzled Darwin
A very timely Great Train Robbery and a frantic 24 Hours in A&E among the highlights
arts + entsThe 'Friends' actor on his new role as campaigner on addiction issues
- 1 America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber announces he's 'retiring from music'
- 4 Children evacuated from swimming pool after prosthetic leg mistaken for paedophile
- 5 Status: Wet - Woman walks off a pier while checking Facebook on her phone