F1: Michael Schumacher rejected approach from Lotus to race in last two Grand Prix of the season
The seven-time world champion 'feels so good in his new life' he rejected the chance
Thursday 14 November 2013
Lotus approached Michael Schumacher about making a possible Formula One comeback in the last two races of the season but the retired seven times world champion made it clear he was not interested.
Schumacher's spokeswoman Sabine Kehm said the approach to the 44-year-old, who quit the sport last year after a three-year comeback with Mercedes following his earlier retirement from Ferrari, came as no surprise.
"Michael's performance against Nico (Rosberg last year) and Nico's performance against Lewis (Hamilton this year) made a lot of people aware of how good Michael still was," she told Reuters in an email on Wednesday.
"Plus, he is still very fit. But he just feels so good in his new life."
Lotus have been seeking a replacement for 2007 champion Kimi Raikkonen, who is leaving for Ferrari at the end of the year and has pulled out of the U.S. and Brazilian Grands Prix to have back surgery.
They are now expected to agree a deal with former Renault, McLaren and Caterham driver Heikki Kovalainen at the US Grand Prix in Austin, Texas.
- 1 Woman accidentally shoots herself in the head while posing for a selfie
- 2 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 4 Female Muay Thai champion hustles coaches to give them a beating
- 5 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland