F1: Nico Hulkenberg rejoins Force India on a multi-year contract just a year after leaving the team for Sauber
Hulkenberg had been linked with drives at Ferrari and Lotus but returns to his former team for next season
Tuesday 03 December 2013
Nico Hulkenberg has agreed a multi-year deal to return to Force India next season.
The 26-year-old German returns to Force India after a year at Sauber, where he finished 10th in the drivers' standings.
"I am happy to come back to Sahara Force India," he said in a statement.
"The team is aiming high for next year and I believe that the experience I have gained over the years will help us achieve those goals.
"I genuinely believe we can have a competitive package in 2014.
"I've heard a lot of positive things about the Mercedes engine as well, so I think there is a lot to be excited about for next year.
"I know this team and I can see their determination; it's a great bunch of people and we all share the same hunger for success."
Team principal and managing director Dr Vijay Mallya described Hulkenberg's arrival as a "statement of intent" ahead of a season in which Formula One will undergo several changes.
"I'm delighted to see Nico back with Sahara Force India," he said.
"When he drove for us in 2012, it became clear Nico was an exceptional talent and he has continued to impress everyone in the paddock with his strong performances this season.
"Having Nico in our line-up is a real statement of intent and a huge boost for everyone associated with the team.
"We have high hopes and expectations for 2014 and by signing Nico we have put ourselves in the best position to achieve those objectives and enjoy what could be our most competitive season yet."
Hulkenberg's signature confirms one half of Force India's line-up for next season, with the marque still to decide who will partner him.
Scotland's Paul Di Resta and Adrian Sutil drove for the team last season and while they could yet be retained, Sergio Perez has also been mooted as a possible replacement.
"From all the names that are out there I can work with any one," Hulkenberg told Sky Sports news.
"It doesn't really matter for me. I want a strong team-mate and one that is challenging me. I know there are a few names around but it is not my decision.
"I'm sure it won't be long before we know."
Mario Balotelli scored as many goals for AC Milan on second debut as he did for Liverpool in the Premier League last season
Cyprus vs Wales match report: Gareth Bale's bullet header has Welsh on brink of Euro 2016
Jose Mourinho: Chelsea manager has four Guinness World records hanging in his office
Manchester United will pay Monaco £7.2m extra if Anthony Martial scores 25 goals in four years as deal could rise to incredible £58m
Pedro hits outs at Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal for treatment of Victor Valdes
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 3 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 4 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 250,000 back our campaign
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees