F1: Ross Brawn to take time out until next summer after leaving Mercedes
Brawn confirmed he would leave Mercedes at the end of the season and despite speculation linking him with a swift return to the paddock he will take time to consider his options
Tuesday 03 December 2013
Ross Brawn is to wait until the summer before deciding whether to return to Formula One.
After 11 months of speculation, Mercedes confirmed last week Brawn would be leaving his role as team principal at the end of the year.
Mercedes are to implement a restructuring plan that will see Toto Wolff and Paddy Lowe in charge as executive director (business) and executive director (technical) respectively.
Given his level of experience and success over the years in F1, with 16 titles to his name, Brawn would understandably be a sought-after commodity.
The 59-year-old has been linked to Williams, McLaren, the FIA and Honda, who are to return to F1 in 2015 as an engine manufacturer.
For now, though, Brawn is to take stock as he said: "I really, genuinely, will see how things pan out in the next six, 12 months and make a decision."
Speaking to the International Business Times, Brawn added: "I'll take some time off now and reflect on things and see if the juices start flowing again and next summer make a decision on if there's any opportunities and things I want to do, or people offer me things to do."
Mercedes non-executive chairman Niki Lauda, who held numerous talks with Brawn in a bid to convince him to stay, has no doubt he will return in some capacity.
The three-times F1 world champion said: "I'm very sad because I wanted him to stay another year but he says he wants to go fishing, he wants a rest.
"So I really tried hard but he stays a consultant to me, which I think is very good and important.
"I don't think he will retire, this is clear. I think he will come back, I don't know with the FIA or whatever he likes to do."
Diving in at the deep end is no excuse for shirking the style stakes
Paul Pogba to Chelsea? Juventus star linked with £60m transfer spotted in west London
World Cup 2014: Neymar's agent launches scathing attack on Brazil's Luis Felipe Scolari, labelling him 'an old jerk, arrogant, repulsive, conceited and ridiculous'
Loic Remy to Arsenal? Gunners close in on move for QPR and France striker - reports
Angel di Maria: Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal 'monitoring' Real Madrid star
World Cup 2014: The 50 best players of the World Cup
- 2 Loom bands: Bids for dress made from colourful rubber reach almost £154,000 on eBay
- 3 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 4 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 5 L'Oreal cuts ties with Belgium supporter Axelle Despiegelaere after hunting trip photographs
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories