Flying start for Red Bull driver Mark Webber in final pre-season testing
Lewis Hamilton edged out in Barcelona
Thursday 28 February 2013
Red Bull driver Mark Webber set the pace in cold and wet conditions on the first day of final Formula One pre-season testing, edging just ahead of Lewis Hamilton of Mercedes.
After Ferrari's Felipe Massa stopped on the track with less than half an hour to go, Webber out-duelled Hamilton as they clocked flying laps just before the session ended. The 36-year-old veteran put in a day's quickest lap of 1min 22.693sec, leaving Hamilton's best effort less than two seconds behind.
Webber said that Red Bull were pleased with the run-up to the new season, when team-mate Sebastian Vettel will defend his world title.
VETTEL AND WEBER RARING TO GO - 851583
Manchester City vs Southampton: Frank Lampard shuns the limelight ahead of his Premier League farewell
Francis Coquelin: The would-be Zinedine Zidane now making an impression as Arsenal’s Claude Makelele
Arsenal vs Aston Villa: Gunners snub that redefined Tim Sherwood
Premier League 2015/16 kits: Confirmed and rumoured strips from Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and others
Arsenal transfer news: Arsene Wenger sets deadline for Theo Walcott contract talks with Liverpool keeping a close eye on his future
- 1 Eurovision 2015: Graham Norton returns with another cutting commentary - his best lines
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Eurovision 2015 winner: Sweden beats Russia and Italy to take the title from Conchita Wurst
- 4 Mother 'will allow son's circumcision in return for release from prison'
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland