Formula One: Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes boss Toto Wolff cook up plan for success in 2017

Wolff confirmed on Friday that Hamilton would face no action after ignoring instructions to speed up and help Nico Rosberg become the world champion during the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff have jointly declared their partnership will be stronger than ever next year.

Three-time world champion Hamilton defied team orders in the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix in his bid to snatch the Formula One drivers' title off team-mate Nico Rosberg.

But Wolff confirmed on Friday that Hamilton would face no action after ignoring instructions to speed up and help Rosberg become only the third German to win the drivers' crown.

In two short videos posted by Hamilton on Instagram on Sunday night, the 31-year-old Briton revealed the pair had held a meeting in Wolff's kitchen, where they are seen sitting alongside each other.

"We just had an amazing meeting," Hamilton said. "I just wanted to send on a message to let you know that we are going to be the strongest partnership next year and we look forward to fighting for this championship again."

Wolff, who said on Friday that in hindsight Mercedes should have let the two drivers race "in the way they deemed to be appropriate" in Abu Dhabi, also wants to put the controversy behind them.

"We spent a good couple of hours together," Wolff said. "We had a really fantastic meeting and we will be coming back so strong in 2017."

Meanwhile, Williams refused to comment on Sunday night on fresh reports linking Mercedes with Valtteri Bottas in their search for a replacement for Rosberg, who retired five days after clinching the world title.

Williams driver Bottas has been reported to be Mercedes' first choice, but the British team said they had already announced their 2017 driver line up.

PA.

Comments