Jules Bianchi’s Formula One team has asked for “patience and understanding” as his hospital treatment continues after he crashed at the Japanese Grand Prix.
The 25-year-old Marussia driver underwent brain surgery for severe head injuries sustained in the accident, which provoked controversy over the decision to hold the race in bad weather conditions.
On Monday morning, the Marussia team released a statement thanking people for the “huge outpouring of support and affection for Jules and the team at this very difficult time”.
It continued: “With regard to the communication of information concerning Jules’ medical condition, we will respect and be guided by the wishes of the Bianchi family.
“Together with Jules’ care, they will remain our highest priority.
“Therefore, we would ask for patience and understanding with regard to further medical updates.”
Information will be released in cooperation with the Mie General Medical Centre in Yokkaichi, where Bianchi is being treated with his family at his side.
Representatives of the Marussia F1 Team and Scuderia Ferrari are also staying at the hospital.
Bianchi’s was not the first crash in the race in Suzuka – Adrian Sutil span off the rain-soaked track at the same corner a lap earlier.
Yesterday he told how he looked on helplessly as Biachi lost control and collided with a JCB recovering his Sauber.
“It hit him hard, that is all I can say,” Sutil said.
“I really hope for him that it is all okay and my thoughts are with him.
"I was just standing there, we know that it is serious at the moment."
The race, won by Lewis Hamilton, was stopped after Bianchi’s crash and his fellow drivers have expressed their admiration for the French driver.
The FIA said he was moved to intensive care after surgery for a “severe head injury” and had been taken to hospital unconscious.
The running of the race had been under threat all week as Typhoon Phanfone approached Japan from the Pacific Ocean.
It was red-flagged after just two laps following a start under safety car conditions and more rain fell in the closing stages.
Sunday was a dark day for motorsport, also seeing the death of former Formula One driver Andrea de Cesaris, who died in a motorcycle accident in Rome aged 55.Reuse content