Muggers take McCall purse
Saturday 23 September 1995
Oliver McCall, who lost his World Council heavyweight championship to Frank Bruno earlier this month in Wembley Stadium, lost again in St Louis on Thursday.
Three men robbed McCall of his loser's purse - a cheque for $1.4m (pounds 927,500) which he had tried to hide in a sock - at about 3am police said.
Police arrested two suspects and recovered the cheque. However, McCall denied the incident had happened. "Man, I don't know what you're talking about," he told a local newspaper. "I love St Louis. What robbery? I wasn't robbed."
The suspects were both freed because McCall said he did not wish to press charges.
Bugner's title, page 23
Latest in Sport
- 1 Kenya President Uhuru Kenyatta clashes with President Obama on LGBT equality: ‘Gay rights is really a non-issue’
- 2 Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park
- 3 Mers outbreak: Manchester Royal Infirmary A&E closes over suspected cases
- 4 Jon Snow alive? New Game of Thrones toy line suggests he's not among the dead
- 5 Denmark bans kosher and halal slaughter as minister says ‘animal rights come before religion’
The 9 charts that show the 'left-wing' policies of Jeremy Corbyn the public actually agrees with
Labour leadership contender Jeremy Corbyn says 'we can learn a great deal from Karl Marx'
The last thing Labour needs is a leader like Jeremy Corbyn who people want to vote for
What the Labour party could look like under Jeremy Corbyn
I am the Jeremy Corbyn supporter that many will tell you doesn't exist
Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park
£18000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Sales Executive is required t...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + competitive: SThree: £20000 - £25000 per annum + c...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides a number ...
£15000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Do you want to work for an exci...