Olympics: Please, don't ask for Pimm's... or chips
We're all aware of the Olympics' tenacious guarding of their sponsors' rights. And, if you're not, try getting into the archery at Lord's with an oversized "I LOVE BURGER KING" T-shirt. But this past week has seen two of the more hilarious cases. First the – not at all surprising – news that Pimm's, the drink that is to a day at Wimbledon as flat lager is to the British football experience, is to be sold unbranded at the tennis event.
While, it would be quite easy to sell, say, Carling as "lager", Pimm's doesn't have an obvious generic equivalent. "Plastic pot of gin-based fruit cup, sir?" What about Guinness? "Pint of black and white Irish dry stout drink please!"
Elsewhere, a photo of a sign informing Olympic Park staff that caterers aren't allowed – thanks to a McDonald's deal – to serve portions of chips individually. They can, however, be served with fish. A bit of Kafkaesque loop-holing that, judging by the reaction on Twitter, seems to have provided a chip to break the camel's back of public outrage at the Games' corporatism.
The Prince of Wales Stakes today is regarded by many as the No1 race of the Royal Ascot meeting and ...
by Gareth Purnell
19 June 2013 02:01 AM
Today’s St James Palace looks a cracker and there has been sustained money for Dawn Approach since t...
by Gareth Purnell
18 June 2013 02:01 AM
Newcastle don’t need a football director – they need a new medical team after finishing bottom of the injury league
Newcastle United have shocked their fans by appointing Joe Kinnear as director of football but new f...
by Alex Miller
17 June 2013 04:39 PM
ACT Brumbies v British and Irish Lions - player ratings
Liverpool close in on £6m Spanish winger Luis Alberto
In pictures: Royal Ascot 2013 - Opening day
Exclusive: Cristiano Ronaldo advised to stay at Real Madrid for further 18 months before making possible switch to Manchester United
Italy Under-21s 2 Spain Under-21s 4 match report: Thiago Alcantara's hat-trick seals European Championship for Spanish youngsters
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 4 Viral video straps colt .45 handgun to a home-use drone
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf