Star sailors on course for medal
Wednesday 20 August 2008
Team GB look likely to surpass the five medals they won in both Sydney and Athens with Iain Percy and Andrew Simpson in a solid position in the Star class.
The British pair finished first, second and sixth in their last three preliminary races today to remain second in the overall standings, just two points behind leaders Sweden heading into the medal race.
Percy and Simpson have 35 points, 16 ahead of fourth-placed France and need only to finish in the top eight tomorrow to clinch Britain's sixth sailing medal.
Leigh McMillan and Will Howden finished second, third and 12th to qualify for the Tornado medal race but are out of contention in ninth place.
Spain's Fernando Echavarri and Anton Paz have a three-point lead over Australia after placing seventh, first and eighth today.
Actress isn't a fan of Ed Miliband
Do you qualify – and how do you get it?
The Mayor of London's sister, Rachel Johnson, apologises for shocking tweet about the PM
Phil Hughes injury: Cricket world reels as Australian opener fights for his life
Phil Hughes: Batsman had one weakness – it has come back to haunt him
Manchester City vs Bayern Munich comment: Frank Lampard's part in City win shows folly of letting him leave
This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
Manchester City vs Bayern Munich: Nasri admits City stars will be sold if they fail in Europe
- 1 Sarah Vine criticises lesbian mother Jack Monroe: 'If she was unsure about her sexuality, she should have taken greater precautions'
- 2 Black Friday 2014: Opening times for Asda, John Lewis, PC World, GAME and Argos
- 3 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 4 Jeremy Hunt: 'I took my children to A&E because I didn't want to wait for GP appointment'
- 5 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services