Star sailors on course for medal
Wednesday 20 August 2008
Team GB look likely to surpass the five medals they won in both Sydney and Athens with Iain Percy and Andrew Simpson in a solid position in the Star class.
The British pair finished first, second and sixth in their last three preliminary races today to remain second in the overall standings, just two points behind leaders Sweden heading into the medal race.
Percy and Simpson have 35 points, 16 ahead of fourth-placed France and need only to finish in the top eight tomorrow to clinch Britain's sixth sailing medal.
Leigh McMillan and Will Howden finished second, third and 12th to qualify for the Tornado medal race but are out of contention in ninth place.
Spain's Fernando Echavarri and Anton Paz have a three-point lead over Australia after placing seventh, first and eighth today.
Arsenal vs Tottenham player ratings: Mesut Ozil? Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain? Nacer Chadli? Who was the star man at the Emirates?
Colombian women's cycling team kit that makes wearer appear naked is branded 'unacceptable' by UCI president
Husain Abdullah penalised after celebrating a touchdown with a Muslim prayer - causing mass outrage among fans
Manchester United risk Uefa row over plan to play lucrative midweek friendlies
Cristiano Ronaldo to Manchester United: 'Come home' banner flown over Real Madrid match
- 1 Reyhaneh Jabbari: Iran due to execute woman for murder of her alleged attempted rapist
- 2 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 3 Expert urges cat lovers to own just one animal each
- 4 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 5 The Simpsons death: Creator Al Jean would 'kill himself' before character like Homer or Lisa
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
'Women, walk wherever you want' posters taken down in Stamford Hill following 'unacceptable' signs separating men and women
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month