Racing: Keith Piggott dies aged 89
Thursday 17 June 1993
The son of Ernest Piggott, who rode three Grand National winners, the greatest moment of Keith Piggott's career came as a trainer came with the success of Ayala in the National of 1963. One of a line of successful racing figures, Piggott's family traced back to an 18th century trainer, John Day.
Piggott was fiercely ambitious for his son and in 1948, at the age of 12, Lester became apprenticed to his father and rode his first winner.
He spent his retirement living near Lester in Newmarket and, in recent years, offered help to any jockey seeking advice. Ray Cochrane and Alan Munro both benefited from his advice and he talked them through films of the Derby before their winning rides on Kahyasi and Generous.
Latest in Sport
The Prince of Wales Stakes today is regarded by many as the No1 race of the Royal Ascot meeting and ...
by Gareth Purnell
19 June 2013 02:01 AM
Today’s St James Palace looks a cracker and there has been sustained money for Dawn Approach since t...
by Gareth Purnell
18 June 2013 02:01 AM
Newcastle don’t need a football director – they need a new medical team after finishing bottom of the injury league
Newcastle United have shocked their fans by appointing Joe Kinnear as director of football but new f...
by Alex Miller
17 June 2013 04:39 PM
ACT Brumbies v British and Irish Lions - player ratings
Premier League fixture list unveiled: Manchester United play Swansea on opening day
Liverpool expected to complete deal for £6m Spanish winger Luis Alberto in next 48 hours
In pictures: Royal Ascot 2013 - Opening day
Exclusive: Cristiano Ronaldo advised to stay at Real Madrid for further 18 months before making possible switch to Manchester United
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£600 - £750 per day: Orgtel: FATCA Project Manager - Banking - London - £600-...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: May & Stephens Recruitment Group: If you're an ambi...
£43000 - £50000 per annum + £5K Car Allowance + Bens : May & Stephens Recrui...
£18000 - £22000 per annum + Bens : May & Stephens Recruitment Group: If you're...