Racing: Ludlow hopeful but other cards in doubt

Click to follow
The Independent Online
Prospects for the resumption of turf racing at Ludlow today appear brighter following a much-needed dry spell overnight. No inspection is now planned for a meeting which had looked in serious jeopardy on Sunday because of the heavy rain and storms which have been sweeping the country.

Tomorrow's turf meeting at Lingfield became another victim of the heavy rain when the fixture was called off following a 3.00pm inspection yesterday, but no problems are reported for the track's all-weather Flat meeting today.

Exeter will hold an inspection at 2.00pm tomorrow to determine whether Friday's meeting can go ahead. Nick Ansell, the clerk of the course, said yesterday: "We remain waterlogged and unraceable."

Although power has been restored at Exeter following the gales, the course still requires repairs to damaged fences. Ansell added: "Because of the state of the track we can't get on the course to repair them. Really, we need a miracle to race."