ROUND-UP: Hoddle bows out a winner

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Glenn Hoddle brought down the curtain on a glorious 20-year career by guiding his Chelsea team to an impressive 2-1 win over their London rivals, Arsenal, at Stamford Bridge yesterday.

The former England midfielder, displaying some vintage artistry, set up Paul Furlong for the opening goal with an inch-perfect pass after 21 minutes, the striker blasting the ball home. John Hartson equalised three minutes later, only for Mark Stein to pop up and head the winner after 53 minutes.

Duncan Ferguson, recovering from injury, looks almost certain to take his place in Everton's FA Cup final team against Manchester United at Wembley on Saturday, after successfully completing the last 45 minutes of their goalless draw with Coventry at Highfield Road. The game was notable largely for the attempts of Peter Ndlovu to take on Everton virtually single-handed.

A last-gasp equaliser by the substitute, Mark Robins, gained Leicester a 2-2 draw at The Dell and denied Southampton ninth place in the Premiership - costing the club at least £40,000 in prize money. Matthew Le Tissier, named the South Coast club's player of the year for the third time, and Ken Monkou had given Southampton a seemingly unassailable lead, but a superb goal by Garry Parker set up relegated Leicester for a spirited finale.

Two goals from the England striker Les Ferdinand - believed to be Tottenham- bound this summer - helped Queen's Park Rangers to their first-ever win over Manchester City at Maine Road by 3-2.

Ferdinand had opened the scoring in the 13th minute when he glanced the ball home after Keith Curle had been dispossessed by Kevin Gallen. But City equalised, as they were to again, when Niall Quinn turned Alan McDonald to score.

The substitute, Daniele Dichio, restored Rangers' lead only for City to be awarded a penalty when Maurizio Gaudino was brought down by Gary Penrice. Although Roberts saved Curle's shot, the City skipper followed up to touch in the rebound. Ferdinand had the final word when he scored with a minute remaining.