Rugby League: Sharks bite back and start to climb

Click to follow
HULL SHARKS produced an amazing comeback to snatch a victory which takes them off the bottom of the Super League.

Hull had looked in disarray as Halifax stormed into a 20-0 lead after 57 minutes, but then in a frantic last quarter they turned the game on its head, Graeme Hallas scoring a match-winning try in the very last seconds.

With just two minutes to go, referee John Connolly disallowed a Richard Horne try and that looked to be the end of Hull's hopes of victory. Inspired by Graham Holroyd, Halifax had been a class apart. Tries by him, Nick Pinkney and David Hodgson emphasised some poor Hull defence and Holroyd also kicked four goals and then a drop goal.

Hull, with the crowd on their backs, began to turn the game around in the second half. In the space of seven minutes, Horne and Steve Craven went over and then with seven minutes left, Michael Smith set up a nail- biting finish.

The drama continued until Hallas roared through to snap up a Horne kick and touch down for a thrilling victory.

Andy Farrell, the Wigan captain, moved up to fifth place in the club's all-time point-scoring records with 20 as the Warriors ran in 10 tries in a 60-10 victory away to Huddersfield Giants.

Farrell overtook Fred Griffiths' 1,455-point haul with his first goal - he went on to kick 10 from as many attempts - to leave the McAlpine Stadium with 1,474 to his name and a standing ovation from the fans.

Neil Cowie, Paul Johnson and Kris Radlinski all crossed in the first half but some resolute defensive play, coupled with a couple of Craig Weston goals, led Huddersfield towards thoughts of an upset. When Dave Boughton plunged over within 60 seconds of the restart and Weston kicked his third goal the Giants trailed by just eight points.

But that was their last hurrah as the Warriors ran riot. Greg Florimo and Jason Robinson went over in the space of two minutes and they continued to bombard the Giants before Gary Connelly got try No 6 on the hour.

Mark Smith set Danny Moore free on 66 minutes and then wonderful play from Tony Smith set Gavin Clinch over for his first try in Wigan colours following his move from Halifax.

Smith went over for tries nine and 10 in the last five minutes to complete a resounding win.

St Helens moved back into second place in the Super League with a thrilling 42-34 win against Wakefield Trinity Wildcats. The newly-promoted Yorkshire side gave Saints a fright, though, before slipping to defeat after recovering from a 32-6 deficit.

Results, tables, page 9