Rugby League: World Cup switch proposed

Click to follow
The Independent Online
Super League officials are considering switching next year's World Cup from Britain to Australia, writes Dave Hadfield.

The New Zealand Rugby League president and World Super League vice-chairman Graham Carden is giving the proposed change his backing.

Carden said: "It would be great for the whole Super League movement to bring the event Down Under and show everyone what we've got."

Carden said the idea would be discussed when the World Super League board meets in Auckland later this week. Super League, which governs the sport in all major rugby league nations except Australia and is backed by the media tycoon Rupert Murdoch, will launch a breakaway 10-team competition in Australasia next season in opposition to the Australian Rugby League.

St Helens are favourites to sign the New Zealand centre Richie Blackmore, who will face Great Britain in the first Test on Friday. Blackmore is keen to return to Britain, where he was a great success with Castleford, and Saints' coach, Shaun McRae, has spoken to him about joining the European Super League champions for next season. "I haven't signed anything yet, but I enjoyed playing for Shaun when he was New Zealand's assistant coach during the World Cup last year," Blackmore said.

Comments