Rugby Union: Lewsey ends De Beer fest

Click to follow
TWO LATE tries enabled Wasps to maintain their title challenge in Allied Dunbar Premiership One by coming from behind and winning 17- 9 at London Scottish yesterday.

With just six minutes of a previously uneventful match remaining, the Scots led 9-3 thanks to three penalties from their South African fly-half Jannie de Beer. The visitors were then awarded a controversial penalty try following a scrum infringement on the Exiles' line and the Scotland wing Kenny Logan, who had earlier landed a penalty, put his side ahead with the conversion. A few minutes later Wasps sealed a victory which keeps them third in the table just two points off the pace when their young fly-half Josh Lewsey touched down after a breakaway move that began inside his own 22-metre line.

Dan Luger, one of the heroes of England's victory over South Africa last weekend, ran in a first-half try for Harlequins in their Anglo-Welsh friendly at Swansea, but still finished on the losing side as Quins went down 32- 18 after reaching the interval level at 18-18. Arwel Thomas, the Wales fly-half returning to action after a three-month injury lay-off, kicked 17 points for the home team who have now won 10 times against English opponents this season.

Lennie Woodard, a left wing who is on loan from Ebbw Vale, had a debut to remember for London Welsh, chalking up a hat-trick of tries in his side's 36-15 home win over Fylde in Premiership Two. With the two leading sides, Bristol and Worcester, playing today, Coventry moved up to third place with an 18-10 success at Wakefield, climbing above Waterloo who lost 17-10 at home to neighbours Orrell. Rotherham, who are fifth, maintained their challenge with a 16-6 victory at Moseley, but the bottom team Blackheath slid to their 12th successive defeat at Exeter.

Manchester still lead Jewson National League One despite losing 17-14 at Newbury. But they are now only ahead on points difference from Henley whose 67-12 thrashing of Liverpool St Helens featured 10 tries.

The bottom club Aberavon claimed their first Welsh Premier Division victory of the season when they upset Bridgend 16-6 at a saturated Athletic Ground. The visitors drew first blood with two Matthew Lewis penalties but Aberavon, whose only previous win this season had been over Spain in the European Shield, retaliated with what proved to be a match-winning try in the 38th minute from Nick Stork. Cerith Rees, who converted, also contributed three second-half penalties.

Neath consolidated their mid-table position with a 30-13 home win over Newport in yesterday's other Premier Division fixture. Dave Tiueti, the former Bristol wing, supplied the last of Neath's four tries.

Heriots FP strengthened their lead in Scotland's Tennent's Velvet Premiership with four tries in a 32-9 win at Jed-Forest. Blackrock College head the Irish league after a 16-9 victory at Galwegians. Lansdowne, 20-10 winners at St Mary's, are level with them on four points.